This borscht came about when I had white cabbage, red cabbage and sauerkraut that all needed to eaten. I also had yellow, red and green onions.
This soup recipe is to chop all these ingredients to 1/2 cubes or shreds and put in a big pot and bring to a boil and then simmer for an hour.
- 1 large beet, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 red onion
- 1 bunch of green onions, chopped
- 1/2 jar of saurekraut
- 1/2 head of cauliflower in small chunks
- 1/2 head of white cabbage shredded
- 1/2 head of red cabbage shredded
- 3 small bok choy shredded
- 1/2 bunch of dill chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 bunch of parsley chopped
- salt and pepper
After this is cooked, add the second 1/2 of the dill bunch chopped and two T. of apple cider vinegar. This gives it the slightest hint of a pickled beet taste. Start with that and make it more sour if you like.
The white chunks are the cauliflower in the bright hot pink fuchsia soup! A little rye bread, some small boiled or baked potatoes served with this is delightful.